Wednesday 13 June 2018

Ich bin ein Berliner.

The story of MAX Two Point Zero's emigration to Australia.


So around 55 years ago, JFK uttered those immortal words. 

June 26, 1963 actually. 

And these days, most tourists to Berlin want to see where the wall was and Checkpoint Charlie and all of those other terrible reminders from the past. 

A past where the Nanny State meant a life lived in miserable oppression.

I remember in our German class back in 1966, Miss Dunbar (not Ms Dunbar... it was 52 years ago) telling our class all about "the wall" and how some had successfully crossed over.. and survived. The one that sticks in my mind was the low slung sports car, with windscreen removed and doors filled with cement. This car was able to drive under the barricade with the driver leaning right over.. while the cement "additions" kept the lead poisoning away.

But these days in a brave new world, the thing of interest for me in Berlin, is the factory of BMW Motorrad. This is where the BMW GS and GSA motorcycle models are made. I have been looking at these bikes for a few years now. And have really started to look closely at the design, the thoughts behind the design and the amazing technology built into each bike.

In a world of automation, they are basically hand assembled by these highly skilled German craftsmen. As an example the tolerance on the bore for the pistons is 0.001MM. That is simply amazing. All CAD design and CNC machining no doubt. And on some models the pin striping is applied with a fine brush held by a very steady Germamic hand



Check out these videos....


The engine factory here.


And the bike assembly here.


And the finished product looks like this.....



Until I examined these bikes closely, I thought they were ugly.


So after nearly 6 years aboard MAX-11 (Fat Max) a Yamaha Super Tenere... the attraction for this finely crafted German machine finally overcame my senses.

Like the Lorelei on the rocks singing to call the the sailors, seeing these bikes everywhere, with their Germanic principle of form follows function design... well they called me in too, and caught me.

I weakened, I gave in, I put my money down.

So these fine craftsmen (or craftspeople if you're a PC sensitive type) have been building my new Motorrad in Berlin and now he's finished and is emigrating by boat to Australia as I type this.

Actually to Brisbane.

And in the long tradition of MAX number plates since 1980, this one will be MAX20.

(MAX Instruments was a big part of my life and I like to be reminded of it by these plates)

Spending money on an expensive new motorcycle can be daunting...  but by pouring over spreadsheets, a purchase decision was made including accessories.

Now that all of that is locked in firmly and in the past, the maps are out.. the long trips are being planned.

With sweet anticipation I look forward to welcoming this fine upstanding German immigrant to Australia.... and my garage!


And to help with parking another BMW in a compact garage, Dynamoto.

Ich bin ein Berliner.. yes, at the moment Max, but soon you will say I'm an Aussie mate.. lets go explore this wide brown land together.

He's a bloody beauty!

Yesssss!

No comments:

Post a Comment