Tuesday 2 July 2019

50 years later; that July afternoon is etched in my mind forever...


"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too." JFK 1962




And then, 9 years later....

"But the world all stopped to watch
On a July afternoon
Watched a man named Armstrong
Walk upon the moon"




Arguably the bravest men the planet has produced.



Mission patch designed by Michael Collins.



Reg Lindsay nailed it with that song....

Back in 1969 when I was a student at Power Coaching College in East Brisbane, life was magic for this just turned 16 year old. Magic music, fast cars and motorbikes to lust after.. and great school friends.

Talk about high tide and green grass. My last year at school and my best ever school year. Now, the school was housed in an old house (still there today) and we had everything.. except a TV set. As an amateur astronomer I was fascinated by the Apollo missions, especially Apollo 11.

Appollo 11 lift off.

I just could not believe this; we are going to the moon. I remember thinking at the time it was sort of like Cook heading off to find the great southern land.




This decal is on my BMW GSA1200


Into our class room walks our principal and tells our science teacher Mrs Ewart, (the best teacher I ever had) that we should all go home and watch the moon walk on our TV sets.

The bus trip to the city and then the train trip to Eagle Junction Station could not happen fast enough. I was just so excited.... even my father had come home from work early to watch this event.

Captured on film with a Hasselblad!

And then on the 19 inch Healing, valve driven black and white TV set we saw those grainy, contrasty images of Neil Armstrong descending the stairs of that landing module. Sitting here the day before my 66th birthday I still can remember that feeling of wonder. 

History in the making.. and I saw it as it happened.


"Look dad.. we have gone to the moon! Isn't this amazing?"

And my mother said, "I wonder if we will holiday on the moon one day?"

Dad's reply.... "What's wrong with our house on Bribie Island?"

That night I set up my reflector telescope at the bottom of our front stairs. Focusing on the moon, I can even now feel the thrill that coursed through every part of me. It was just one of those moments.

My parent's comments are memorable....

Mother, "Can you see Armstrong on the moon?"

Father, "If a farm boy from America can walk on the moon tonight, there is nothing your generation cannot do."


Life cover shot


And the funny thing is this.... some 50 years later this one event is etched into my mind as much as Armstrong's boot print was imprinted onto the lunar dust way back then. 


What a symbol of man's dreams


I think that it really is the greatest thing I ever have experienced in terms of technology. Yes, I know my iPhone has more computer power etc. 

But consider this...

When man landed on the moon, we still built cars with generators and not alternators, cars had carburettors, not fuel injection systems, drum brakes were still standard on many cars and we had rotary dial telephones, only 4 TV stations here in Brisbane. Technology was just not that advanced. Virtually nobody had air conditioning in their car let alone their home. Our music came from 7 inch singles or 12 inch LPs or the just newly invented Compact Cassette. But most of us just got our music from Mike Ahern on 4BC here in Brisbane.

And yet .... we went to the moon that same year. 1969.

So 50 years later, if I was a man of independent means, I would buy myself an Omega Speedmaster, the "moon watch" and strap it onto my wrist at the exact moment Buzz Aldrin stepped onto the moon's surface. (That would be 13:14 hours in BNE) Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him 19 minutes later; Armstrong left his Omega onboard the LM and only Buzz Aldrin wore his on the surface of the moon. Now that would be a blast. I love that watch!



The moon watch!


Here is a link to some other stuff from 1969!






Add to Story
Margi Blair
AltRider


Just now







No comments:

Post a Comment