Saturday 16 November 2013

Photography: Clouds… there's magic in the skies!

I have always loved clouds. When I was about 10 I was visiting an old Buffalo member with my father. This fellow had been a Spitfire pilot during the war. On the wall of his home was a painting of several Spitfires.. "Morning Patrol Over Kent" was the title I think. Now I loved aeroplanes, but what really got me in with this painting was the rim lighting on the clouds. Absolutely fascinated me. And it still does.

Fast forward to 1983 and I was lucky enough to spend an hour in the jump seat of a QF 747 on the way to Hong Kong! Wow.. what a view of clouds from up the sharp end. And still I love that rim lighting.. something about it finds a place within my own view of the wonder of mother nature. And  to think the genesis of this came from a painting of  Spitfires on patrol!

So this morning I went looking for my Weekend Australian… again it wasn't there! But some magic rim lighting on the clouds was. As usual by the time you rush inside for a camera and return.. well the best of it is gone.

But this is what I did get…… magic clouds!


Clouds.. I love them!